This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Peruvian-inspired Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Aji Verde Sauce are made with boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated with Latin spices, so flavorful and great for summer grilling!
Peruvian-inspired Grilled Chicken Skewers
These Peruvian-inspired Grilled Chicken Skewers made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs are juicy and so flavorful topped with a spicy avocado aji verde sauce. The chicken is marinated with beer, Sazon, cumin and spices. The creamy spicy sauce is so good, I’ve been putting it on my eggs, steak tacos, etc. I’ve made these Grilled Chicken Skewers a few times in the past month, and they’ve been such a hit with my family. They are so delicious – the longer you marinate the chicken, the more flavor it will have. Loosely inspired by my favorite Peruvian chicken with green sauce only easy to make all summer on the grill. I like the sauce spicy, so I leave the seeds from the jalapeno in, but you can make it milder by omitting the seeds.
Spicy Avocado Aji Verde Sauce
The creamy avocado sauce made with jalapeños will be very spicy if you leave in the seeds, which is how I like it. A little goes a long way! If you prefer milder sauces, remove the seeds. This aji sauce will last four days in the refrigerator, so you can use it over anything from scrambled eggs and rice and beans to steak tacos and grilled chicken.
What is aji sauce made of?
To make my spicy avocado aji verde sauce, blend all the ingredients below:
- Liquid: Olive oil, white vinegar, water
- Aromatics: Garlic, cilantro
- Spices: Cumin and salt
Chicken Marinade Recipe
Combine all the ingredients below in a bowl or zip-locked bag and marinate the sliced chicken thighs for at least three hours or as long as overnight.
- Light beer: I used Corona light, but Modelo or Dos XX would also work.
- Sazon with achiote: You can buy sazon from the supermarket or make your own.
- White vinegar: If you don’t have regular white vinegar, swap it for apple cider vinegar.
- Spices: Cumin, salt, garlic powder, oregano
How to Grill Chicken Skewers
- Put the sliced chicken thighs on metal skewers. If you’re using wooden ones, you will need to soak them in water first. If you don’t want to make skewers, leave the thighs whole and skip this step.
- Preheat your grill to medium and oil the grates. Grill the chicken skewers for about five minutes on each side.
What to Serve with Peruvian Grilled Chicken Skewers
I serve this grilled chicken with rice, and some of my favorite summer salads, like grilled corn salad and cucumber tomato salad.
More Latin Recipes You’ll Love:
Peruvian Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Aji Verde Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
marinade time: 3 hrs
Total Time: 3 hrs 20 mins
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Aji Verde Sauce are made with boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated with Latin spices, so flavorful and great for summer grilling!
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 oz light beer, I used Corona light
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning with achiote, 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Avocado Aji Verde Sauce (makes 2/3 cup)
- 1 ounce avocado
- 2 jalapeños, with seeds
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Serving: 1skewer with sauce, Calories: 197kcal, Carbohydrates: 2.5g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Sodium: 502mg
Keywords: grilled chicken skewers, grilled chicken thighs