Tips To Use Treadmill For Weight Loss
How are you all doing? If you ask me the same question, my reply would be… I am dying every day with temperature souring daily higher than the previous day. This year the summers are killing my workouts. The most difficult thing is to leave the AC room and go for a morning walk or walk on the treadmill at home during hot sweaty evenings. During Covid I had invested on a good treadmill and I used it also but now I am using it more or less for completing my 10,000 steps goal after walk. Treadmill is a superb tool to help you workout at home and or at gym at your convenience. Today let me talk about a few simple tips to use treadmill for weight loss.
Simple Tips To Use Treadmill For Weight Loss
How to use treadmill for weight loss
Walk on treadmill is convenient staying indoor but can become boring as we keep walking or running repeatedly in the same pattern daily. The need is to break the boring pattern and we can do that easily by opting for different programs of your choice.
- I have bad knees so I cannot run but you can run on a smooth path on a pace that you set keeping in view your weight loss goals. Treadmill can be used in a great way to lose weight if you run while doing HIIT.
- If you are one of those who find treadmill boring, try walking or running on it while watching your favorite series on OTT platform. I love to walk on it while listening to my favorite Trance music on different music Apps.
- People say that running on treadmill causes knee injury and to avoid that here are the important points to keep in mind in order to avoid knee injuries.
- Stretch; Yes do some muscles stretching or a light spot walking before hopping on the treadmill. It would wake up the muscles and make workout injury free.
- Start and end slow: We need to start with a low speed as directly running on high speed can cause knee injury. Warming up of the muscles before actual workout is as important as to ensure to gradually lowering down the speed. Taking time to cool down after a run on treadmill is important.
- Mind the posture: It is important to maintain the right posture while working out on the treadmill. Standing straight with erect spine is the right way to do it. So if you plan to watch TV while doing cardio take care of keeping your screen at the right height. Workout in the wrong posture does more harm to the body than good. You can read more about posture here.
Going back to the next tip….
- Start slow from 10 minutes and later keep increasing time to 5 minutes and so on. It is considered safe to run on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes after building stamina to do the same. Though it is important to come out of your comfort zone to lose weight yet consult an instructor before exceeding 45 minutes.
- To lose weight try different types of built in running programs so that losing more calories becomes easy.
- Intervals are a good way to burn more calories to lose more weight in lesser time. All you need to do is run slow for 2 minutes and then 2 minutes fast. Keep repeating this pattern. Intervals burn more calories as the body is not able to predict what is going to happen next thus works extra burning more calories. Read more about intervals here and here.
- The final and most important tip… Find your personal fat-burning zone first before starting treadmill workouts for weight loss. It is important that while doing any cardio or treadmill workout you must know personal fat-burning heart rate as it can help getting effective weight loss results. Fat burning heart rate zone is where the body burns maximum calories per minute.
- In order to find fat-burning zone, we calculate our maximum heart rate and then find the fat burning zone. Our maximum heart rate is 220 minus our age. Let me give an example, I am 56 years old so to find my maximum heart rate I will subtract 220-56 to find my max heart rate, which comes to 164 beats per minute. The fat burning zone for me will be 70% of my maximum heart rate. My max heart rate is 164 beats per minute, so my fat-burning zone is 70 percent of 164 that is around 115 beats per minute (164 x 0.70 = 114.8).
Well so now I know clearly that to lose weight in a better way, I will have to workout to reach for 115 -164 bpm for effective weight loss.
So what are you waiting for? Go check your fat burning zone and start working out to lose weight and stay healthy.
Previous article7 Ways To Ensure Healthy Mouth For A Better Overall Health
55 years old, writer, painter, educator, meal planner, and motivational coach who is ever willing to do something new on a daily basis. She turned into a health enthusiast from being a couch potato, repacked her free soul from 98 kg to 67 kg frame, and fell in love with life all over again at the age of 45. Right now she is a strong proponent of Body Positivity.